What is Constipation? Its Causes, Symptoms and Treatment in Ayurveda
Constipation is a condition in which you may have fewer than three bowel movements a week; stools that are hard, dry, or lumpy; stools that are difficult or painful to pass; or a feeling that not all stool has passed. Constipation is a problem faced by people across ages, from elders to youth to middle-aged population.
People Suffering from Constipation may feel tightness in their abdomen, or a sharp, cramping pain deep in their gut. They may also feel full all the time—as if they've just eaten a large meal—even when they haven't eaten for several hours.
What are the reasons or causes of Constipation?
Eating a diet that's low in fiber. Getting little or no physical activity. Taking certain medications, including sedatives, opioid pain medications, some antidepressants or medications to lower blood pressure. Having a mental health condition such as depression or an eating disorder.
What are the symptoms of Constipation?
Symptoms of constipation may include:
- fewer than three bowel movements a week
- stools that are hard, dry, or lumpy
- stools that are difficult or painful to pass
- a feeling that not all stool has passed
What percentage of India’s population suffer from Constipation?
- In India, nearly 22% of country's adult population suffers from constipation and Kolkata tops the charts with 28% respondents suffering from it. Approximately, about 16 out of 100 adults have symptoms of constipation. "The findings suggest that 22 per cent of the adult Indian population is suffering from the condition, with 13 per cent complaining of severe constipation. 6 per cent of the Indian population suffer from constipation associated with certain comorbidities," healthcare firm Abbott said in its Gut Health Survey here. The survey also highlighted that about one-fourth of Kolkata's population leads a sedentary lifestyle, practices self-medication and does not consult a doctor, which further aggravates the problem.
- In India, there are number of ways through which one can treat Constipation like, consult a doctor, self-meditation, yoga and Ayurveda. Yes, our Ayurveda has number of natural churns and tablets very useful to treat constipation from root.
How can you treat Constipation by Ayurveda?
According to Ayurveda, constipation occurs when vata's cold and dry qualities disturb the colon, inhibiting its proper functioning. The remedy is to add warmth, oil, and hydration to the system in order to counter the excess vata. Inability to completely evacuate the bowels or passing very hard stools is known as Constipation or Vibandh in Ayurveda. Vata dosha is responsible for excretory function while a vitalized vata is the reason for constipation.
If you are completely worried of chronic constipation and making lifestyle adjustments isn’t helping to deal with it, then you can undoubtedly turn to Ayurvedic treatment for constipation. Ayurvedic treatment involves herbal formulations that induce bowel movements and get your digestive system back in order. These remedies treat the problem at the source to facilitate bowel movements naturally.
Shri Chyawan Ayurveda’s has formulated best medicine for constipation - Kabj hari Churn, it helps in a lot of stomach related issues like gas, constipation and abdominal pain. Consumption of this churn will ease down the pain during constipation and ultimately will help you get rid of the regular constipation issues, gases and acidity.
Kabj Hari is by far the best churna for constipation. It will not only help you by treating Constipation, but also help with Acidity, Bloating, Gases and other stomach related issues. Kabj Hari Churn is made using all herbal and natural ayurvedic ingredients like Harde, Sonth, Mulethi, Baheda, Hing, Variyali, Amaltas, Black Salt, Blackpepper, Amla.
Some benefits of Kabj Hari Churn include:
- Improves Digestion: Shri Chyawan Ayurveda’s Kabj Hari Churn effectively helps to cure your problems related to digestive system and facilitates smooth digestion process.
- Relieves Constipation: It effectively helps to give you relief from stomach issues and constipation.
- Bloating and Gases: Kabj Hari Churn reduces stomach bloating, digestion issues and gases and reduces indigestion.
- Pure and Natural Product: Kabj Hari Churn is made using all natural and herbal ingredients and ensures smooth digestion process.
Kabj Hari Churn can be used by mixing 1-2gm of this churn with half cup of water, consume every day before going to bed.
Which foods to avoid in Constipation?
- Eating a lot of high-fat meats
- Dairy products and eggs
- Sweets, or processed foods may cause constipation
- Not including enough fluids, water and other fluids help fiber work better, so not drinking enough liquids can contribute to harder stools that are more difficult to pass.
Which foods help to relieve Constipation?
- Berries such as raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries all are examples of fruits that have a good amount of fiber.
- Beans and lentils provide twice as much fiber as most vegetables.
- Dried fruits, such as dates, figs, prunes, apricots, and raisins are another great source of dietary fiber that acts as constipation relief.
- Like beans, broccoli is a superstar source of fiber.
- Plums, pears, and apples are good choices because much of their fiber can be found in their edible skins.
- Nuts are yet another fiber powerhouse. Among the best are almonds, pecans, and walnuts.
- Boiling and mashing potatoes, with the skin is another good way to serve them. You can skip the french fries, as they are unhealthy.
Treating Constipation as per the Ayurvedic Perspective:
- Drink Lots of Warm or Hot Water and Herbal Tea.
- Increase the Quantity of Organic Oils in Your Diet.
- Eat Plenty of Fruit.
- Drink Some Fruit Juice.
- Take Milk with Ghee, or Soaked Flax Seeds.
- Take Vata Pacifying Herbs.